How to Securely Enable Two Factor Authentication On WhatsApp
The social media platforms are always prone to privacy issues and to overcome these issues many security updates are brought in from time to time. But the major point is that as many of these security checks or measures are not compulsory many of us become unaware about its existence and when a privacy issue comes across we keep searching for a solution. Recently a post in Kerala Police’s Facebook page regarding a report on the massive hacking of social media accounts made us aware of the ‘two-step verification’ feature. An immense number of posts and awareness videos were flooded in different social media platforms. So here let us know more about ‘two-step verification’.
What is ‘two-step verification’?
The two-step verification is a security feature in social media platforms like Whatsapp, Facebook and Instagram. It is an optional feature which adds another layer of security to your social media account. Basically the two-step verification works with a six-digit pin number so that at any point of verification of your account you have to enter this pin number.
Steps to enable two-step verification in Whatsapp
As Whatsapp have become a significant platform for personal as well as official communication nowadays it is very important to enable all the possible security features of it to keep it safe. Given below are the simple steps with which we can enable the two-step verification in WhatsApp.
- First, open Whatsapp on your device and click on the menu (three dots) on the home page.
- From the options appeared tap on ‘Settings’
- On the settings page, select ‘Account’.
- Then tap on ‘Two-step verification’
- On the ‘Two-step verification’ screen tap on the ‘Enable’.
- Next screen will appear, enter a six-digit pin number and on next page re-enter the pin number to confirm it.
- On next screen, you can either add your e-mail address and tap confirm or you can skip that option.
- Tap on ‘Done’ to complete the process.
By doing these steps your WhatsApp two-step verification has been enabled. If you add the e-mail address on two-step verification then it will allow WhatsApp to send you a link to your email through which you can disable the two-step verification in case you forget your pin number and it also safeguards your account. One thing to be noted is that WhatsApp won’t send any links to an email to disable the two-step verification unless you request for it. So if you receive any such mails without requesting then it can be a trap.